“Lifelong creativity isn’t given to you. You must earn it and attend to it every day.”
—Eric Maisel (Creativity for Life, p. 319)
To build creative, satisfying careers, we musicians need to cultivate both artistic and professional abilities.
Nonetheless, many music schools neglect to address students’ professional development, despite the fact that their mission statements claim to prepare graduates for career success.
To help musicians fill that education gap, here are 7 career-building strategies (links point to other posts on this blog).
Seven Career-Building Strategies for Musicians
1. Forge an artistic vision that’s specific, realistic, and altruistic.
2. Discover ways that you can create value in society through your music.
3. Differentiate yourself from others in your genre.
4. Plan for long-term sustainability.
5. Identify ways to gain competitive advantages.
6. Tap multiple income streams.
7. Grow a professional network.
See The Musician’s Way for guidelines to establish your musical and professional foundations.
© 2016 Gerald Klickstein
Photo © Studio10 Artur, licensed from Shutterstock.com